It’s kind of important to understand any gum disease that affects approximately 95 % of the adult population. Gum disease, also known as gingivitis, is an infection that attacks the gums and bones that surround and support your teeth.
What is the cause:
Gingivitis is caused by the formation of plaque (Biofilm = organized group of bacteria which causes inflammation ) on the teeth and under the gum line. If left untreated, gum disease can cause tooth loss.
Of course, there are other causative factors such as nutrition, genetics, smoking,poor occlusion (bite), and various systemic diseases. Bacterial plaque, however, is the primary cause of Periodontal Disease.
What are the symptoms :
- Gums that bleed easily when you brush and floss
- Red, swollen, or sore gums
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste
- Gums that are pulling away from the teeth
- Formation of pockets between the teeth and gums
- Mobility and Loose permanent teeth
- Changes in your bite
What is the treatment:
if you have gum disease, we may suggest that you to schedule your professional teeth cleanings more than twice a year. If this is not sufficient, we will recommend a deep cleaning procedure called also root planing. The plaque and tartar will be scraped from your teeth, above and below the gums. Then your tooth roots will be smoothed. This makes it hard for plaque to adhere to the tooth roots. Smoothing the roots also provides a clean surface to your gums to reattach to.
Technology used in Starlight for treatment of Gingivitis and Periodontitis:
- Hu Friedy Hand instrument (USA)
- EMS Ultrasonic and Air-Flow Plus ( Switzerland) Link technology
- Biolase Laser (USA) Link technology
- Waterpik waterfloss equipment (USA) Link https://www.waterpik.com/
- Tepe Oral Health devise (Sweden) Link http://www.tepe.com/
Over the past several years we have formulated a Soft Tissue Management Program which is specifically designed to assist you in maintaining your periodontal health. The goal of this program is to control the biofilm (bacterias) that cause the infection through procedure in our office and proper home care techniques. In office and home care are both essential for successful periodontal therapy and good oral health.
1)Initial Phase consists of patient education in proper oral hygiene techniques.
The Treatment Phase involves the removal of all causative factors and may include correction of bone and gum defects by
2) Non surgical procedure with Deep Cleaning
We will use special hand instrument and an ultrasonic scaler to clean below the gums and remove the calculus. We will planes the root surfaces to smooth them and prevent further tartar buildup. Not only does root planing help prevent future buildup, but it also gives the gums a smooth surface on which to heal, which reduces post-scaling irritation.
Deep cleaning as preventive treatments that should be repeated for some patient yearly to prevent tartar buildup, even in patients who show no signs of gum disease.
3) Surgical procedure could be necessary, including bone graft, link to the result of the Non-Surgical procedure. Thanks to our waterlaser with minimally invasive option for many procedures it is often possible to avoid the surgery. Our Waterlaser will give more aesthetic and more comfortable alternative to traditional surgical procedures for our patients
4). The Control Phase begins immediately after the treatment phase. Once the disease process has been eliminated, it is your responsibility to seek regular preventative treatment. We are here to help at all times.